Frequently Asked Questions



Can i overspend on my card?


No. You can only spend what's available from deposits made to your card account by your employer.


If a transaction is approved that would cause you to spend in excess of your available funds, the overspent amount will be debited from your nominated account at the end of the relevant statement cyce.


How do I check the balance on my card?


There are 3 ways to check your balance:


  • At an ATM
  • Via online or telephone banking
  • By calling the Westpac Call Centre


You will also receive a monthly statement outlining transactions made from that period.


What happens at year-end?


Salary packaging everyday expenses works in line with the Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) year, which ends on 31 March. Any unspent amounts will either be taxed and returned to you via payroll, or carried forward. If any balance is carried forward, it will reduce your annual limit (cap) for the following FBT year.


What happens to my card if i resign?


Upon resignation or termination of employment, your card will be automatically cancelled and must be returned to your employer. Your employer will arrange for any unspent funds on the card to be taxed and returned to you via payroll.


Are everyday purchase expenses shown on my payment summary?


Yes. They will be displayed as a Reportable Fringe Benefit Amount (RFBA). The RFBA is added to your gross income to assess your eligibility for government tested benefits such as:


  • HELP or PELS debt levies
  • Medicare Levy Surcharge
  • Child Maintenance Support


Can you apply for an additional cardholder?


Yes. If you would like your spouse or partner to have access to your funds using their own card, this can be arranged.